The West Virginia Water Research Institute (WVWRI) is requesting proposals for research expected to be funded March 1, 2020 through February 28, 2021. The U.S. Geological Survey (USGS), Department of the Interior, will sponsor the research. Faculty from all West Virginia colleges and universities are encouraged to submit proposals. Funding selected proposals is dependent upon the availability of funds. It is expected that 3-5 projects will be funded in the range of $10,000 – $20,000 each. It is expected that approximately $70,000 will be available for new projects in 2020.
Area of Emphasis/Research Priorities for the State of West Virginia
Drinking Water Protection
- THM’s-factors controlling PSD exceedances; especially in older systems along the Ohio river
- Interpretation of compliance reports
- Bromide--sources, mass balance in streams, factors controlling stream concentrations, impacts
- PFAS sampling protocols and analytical methods
- Landfill leachate
Mining and Water Quality Compliance
- TDS management
- Watershed restoration-AMD treatment, performance, economics
- Selenium treatment and management
- Assess the efficacy of presently-used erosion and sedimentation controls on mine sites
- Flooding and dam safety
- Flood prediction
Policy options proven to protect water resources that could help WV
- Data to support policy options
Environmental STEM research and education
- Boy scouts, girl scouts, international scouts
Proposals under this announcement
must be submitted to the WVWRI in pdf format to: email@example.com by 5:00 pm November 18, 2019.
Please include USGS104b in the subject line.
Applications will be accepted only from Institutes or Centers established pursuant to the provisions of Section 104 of the Water Resources Research Act of 1984, as amended. The applicant may consider project proposals only from faculty members or affiliates at institutions of higher education in its State. Therefore, eligible applicants are faculty members or affiliates at institutions of higher education in the State of West Virginia.