The West Virginia Water Research Institute (WVWRI) is requesting proposals for research expected to be funded March 1, 2021 through February 28, 2022. The U.S. Geological Survey (USGS), Department of the Interior, will sponsor the research. Faculty from all West Virginia colleges and universities are encouraged to submit proposals. Funding selected proposals is dependent upon the availability of funds. It is expected that 3-5 projects will be funded in the range of $10,000 – $20,000 each. It is expected that approximately $90,000 will be available for new projects in 2021.
Area of Emphasis/Research Priorities for the State of West Virginia
Drinking Water Protection
- THM’s-factors controlling PSD exceedances; especially in older systems along the Ohio river
- Interpretation of compliance reports
- Development of a TMDL translator for Fecal coliform to E. coli
- Improved filtration technologies
Mining, Gas Development and Water Quality Compliance
- TDS management-ionic strength
- Watershed restoration
- Water recycling technologies
- Water withdrawal management
- Determine the environmental and economic benefits of watershed restoration
- Evaluate Coal River/Little Coal River (Kanawha County)
- Evaluate Muddy Creek (Preston County)
- Evaluate Three Fork Creek (Taylor County)
- Effects of extreme events on water quantity and quality (turbidity, urban runoff, incidence of harmful algae blooms, water supply, groundwater recharge, etc.)
- Strategies for identifying, maintaining, and/or enhancing biological diversity and function, riparian corridor health and protection, connections between upland forests and water quality, etc.
- Flooding and dam safety
- Flood prediction
Policy options proven to protect water resources that could help WV
- Data to support policy options
- Monitoring and or analyses to support the eventual implementation of state nutrient standards
Outreach and Education
- Watershed health
- Citizen monitoring
Proposals under this announcement must be submitted to the WVWRI in pdf format to: email@example.com by 5:00 pm November 18, 2020. Please include USGS104b in the subject line.
Applications will be accepted only from Institutes or Centers established pursuant to the provisions of Section 104 of the Water Resources Research Act of 1984, as amended. The applicant may consider project proposals only from faculty members or affiliates at institutions of higher education in its State. Therefore, eligible applicants are faculty members or affiliates at institutions of higher education in the State of West Virginia.